Thursday, April 17, 2008

Bryan's Surgery

Well, everything went great! If you want more details, read on. If not, there are two other posts below this one. Yep, it's after busy season baby!
Bryan woke up the night before at 12:15. The rule was to not eat after midnight, so all I could do for him was stick in a pacifier and soothe him back to sleep. Luckily that worked and he fell asleep about a half hour later. We arrived at the Surgical Center at 6:30am. Bryan was in good spirits and he smiled at all the nurses - such a schmoozer! They opened up a toy drawer and gave him a stuffed dog-like thing. They were really surprised with how much he was smiling. Aren't all babies like that? Then Matt started to do the "boo" thing and got Bryan to laugh, then the nurses were really all over him.

Just like everyone told me, the surgery lasted maybe 20 minutes including their prep and recovery. Matt and I were in the waiting room when we heard him waking up. We had to wait until they let us in, so we got the bottle ready and waited. That was the hardest part, honestly. Knowing that he's in there upset and I couldn't hold him. When they gave the OK, I ran inside and fed him immediately. He only took about 4oz when he became agitated and started to cry again. I could only imagine what was going through that little head of his. Hearing his Mom and Dad talking and not recognizing the sounds coming from us. The Dr. said he scraped away a lot of gunk before making his incisions. There will be some more drainage before he's completely better, but it's a ton better than what it was before. After about an hour in the recovery room with Matt and I taking turns pacing the room with Bryan in our arms, we left to go home and rest. Matt went to get my car's oil changed and to get some food while I stayed at home with Bryan. I thought he'd be cranky and sleepy, but he was back to normal in just a few short hours. They used gas instead of an IV, so I think that made a huge difference. The Dr. told us that he shouldn't get behind a wheel, but I figured this one might be OK...


4 comments:

The Browers said...

yeah! he looks great! here's to a fast recovery and healthier future for him.

Anonymous said...

Yay - I knew he'll pull through. Nice updates lately. I like it. Keep it comin' and give Bryan a kiss from me. :]

-Amy

{The Tresslers} said...

Congrats on a speedy recovery! I had tubes put in my ear after I had the twins (long story) but I have to say, it's a miracle how well it works and how little pain there is afterwards! Hope he continues to feel great! Love those little legs !!

Bryan and Jonathan said...

This post-twins ear tubes story sounds painful. I'm imagining it has something to do with pushing? ouch. Next topic.
Bryan is doing really well, thanks everyone for your well-wishes!